Investigate effectively on the web, is an activity that requires knowing the language with which search engines work. Titles, authors and subjects were sufficient to tour the library, now the volume and variety of documents online makes access easier, but more difficult to find quality and accuracy in the content we need.
Tracking digital information
Google and its algorithm are responsible for indexing the public domain websites to create an index that takes into account in addition to words, images, videos, publication date, geographic location, etc.. Keywords and “PageRank” are important concepts to understand are not always the first page of results you get is the right one.
Then there is the proposal in the specialization of academic content with Google Scholar. There are theses, books, professional studies and other information that libraries and publishers in the world decide to share.
It is more important to consider that there are other search engines, Bing, Yahoo, Ask are platforms that have similarities in performance or projects “Open Source” as YaCy and Apache Solr that require software installation.
Discover involves having focus
Google now lets you directly on your site math, measurement unit conversion and currencies, define words like a dictionary, etc.., But the search syntax is unchanged.
Save time and take full advantage of Google using the following tips:
- The quotation marks. Everything you type these symbols will limit the results to the relationship of words.
- Make special words. If you need to find a particular word or phrase adds a (+) before. If instead you want to exclude a word using the (-).
- Results with a certain file type. Use the command (filetype: ).
- According to restrict url. Writing (allinurl) will be considered only “urls” having the exact relationship of words you type in command then. To do the same procedure but to analyze any of the terms used (inurl: ).
- Search by title. To search for all words in the title of the website writes (allintitle: ), if you only need one or no matter their direct (intitle: ).
- Links and text. Explore key words within the text only (allintext: ) and / or links (allinlinks: ).
To learn better online need to keep alert the critical sense of selection of information, as would a detective while solving a case.